Sunday, March 9, 2014

Creating the Perfect Swimmer Post 19

This has honestly been one of the best weekends of my life.  Not only did I get to spend time with my teammates and have fun with them, I also had the best swim meet of my life.  Everything I swam was a lifetime best.  The meet was run as a prelim-final format, with prelims being on friday and finals on saturday.  In order to get All-State, you have to get in the top 8.  I swam:

50 breast (medley): prelims-26.00  finals-25.90--2nd place
200 IM: prelims-1:53.93  finals-1:53.75--3rd place
100 breast: prelims-58.40  finals-58.37--5th place
100 free (relay): prelims-46.75  finals-46.94--3rd place

For the medley relay, we reset our previous school record by going a 1:34.23.  That time earned us an All-American automatic cut.  It is probably the best feeling in the world knowing that we will be in the top 100 fastest times in the whole country this year.  I broke the school record in both the 200 IM and the 100 breast.  The previous records were 1:54.53 from 1991 in the IM and 58.52 from 2012 in the breaststroke.  This means that at the end of this year, I will have 3 school records and 2 pool records.  I will also have my picture on the wall 3 different times for this year, which I am very proud of.  I also got my two Junior National cuts at this meet.  This means that I will be able to go down to Orlando, Florida in a little over a week to swim, which is an amazing opportunity.  Since our club team is sponsored my Nike, I will also be given a free backpack, suit, and warmups.

Coming up this next weekend, I will be going to the age-group state meet, so I can go for more Junior National cuts.  The Junior National meet is set up so that if you have one cut, you can have two bonus cuts.  Bonus cuts are a little bit slower, which makes them easier to get.

Here are some videos from the State meet.  The first one is of the medley relay.  We came in second place and I swam the 2nd leg (breaststroke).  The second video is of my 200 IM.  I came in 3rd place and am wearing the half black and half pink suit and the all black cap.
The thing I was most happy about in my IM was that I came from behind in the last 50 to secure a 3rd place finish.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your third place finish, Jacob. You may not realize- but even from the beginning of this blog- you have improved so much! When you go back and look through the blog what are some of your feelings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt pure joy knowing that all my hard work this year has paid off

      Delete